Monday, January 26, 2009

Cradle to Cradle

In chapter 3 of the book “Cradle to Cradle” by William McDonough and Michael Braungart the concepts of rhetoric, pathos, ethos and logos were present although they didn’t seem to be in your face. You sort of had to read and contemplate on what was being said to recognize them.
There was a lot of talk about exactly what should be done to improve the quality of our planet. It wasn’t just an accusatory piece saying “you better fix this planet or we are all going to die” or something of that sort. Instead, it was more about the steps we need to take to make our world better. This appealed to me as a reader. I don’t want to feel like I’m being attacked for not being as environmentally friendly as maybe I could be. Rather I want to be told exactly what steps I should take to do better. I believe that there were a lot of good points in this piece and I think we all could do a better job of protecting our environment. I think that the audience most likely reading this book are the kind of people that want to be more environmentally friendly and I feel this piece would appeal to them.
The writers never really talked about the credentials they had on the subject, but I still felt like they were credible. They seemed to know a lot about the subject and had a lot of good ideas that actually seem feasible. They talked about the concept of putting grass and soil on the rooftops. As pointed out in the piece, this is already happening and has been happening for a long time in a lot of places. The way that this book was written (or at least this chapter) was extremely easy to read and understand. I felt that I could identify with the writers simply because I knew what they were talking about. I feel that I could actually have a conversation with them just by the way they write.
Chapter 3 was not full of a lot of facts and statistics, but I still feel that the concept of logos was present. They weren’t throwing a lot of data in your face, but they did have a lot of material that would appeal to good reason. As stated before they had many good ideas for how we can do better as a society. They talked about ways in which we could incorporate nature into even the industrial part of society and include it in factory design. They talked about how we could use plastics to make books and other reading material instead of using paper. This to me sounds like a great idea, especially because we have already created so much plastic. We could use this plastic for a greater good. They actually used a lot of stories about things that they have already done in different places to be more environmentally friendly. Instead of having stories about things they have only heard about, instead they used personal stories to present the evidence that it is possible to do most of the things they discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment